Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Browsing toward the finish line

I have been a bit reluctant to complete some of the activities for this week. Some of the information in the 'overview' made me a bit apprehensive. I do the activities on my computer at home and statements such as 'keep in mind that too many add-ons will slow down your browser's performance' and 'for security reasons, download from reputable sources' set off alarm bells. I had trouble with unwanted spam and sluggishness with my last computer and there is a part of me that wants to keep this one 'light and lean'. If I customize my browser to provide additional functionality, I'm not sure I would make enough use of it to justify its installation.
I trust the ET team and have had only positive experiences in this course. So, I have installed Firefox on my computer. It was easy, simply a matter of following the prompts. In preparation for adding a tool, I read the article 'Top 10 Firefox Extentions to Avoid'. It was a bit confusing in some ways, as it warned against certain extensions that it also recommended. I reviewed the list of add-ons available on Firefox. Disclaimers such as 'no spyware or viruses' or 'does not open pop-ups or hyjack your searches' did not fill me with confidence. I finally selected 1-click weather 1.14 as an add-on, but once again got cold feet when asked if I wanted to save the file and the pop-up window warned 'while files from the internet can be useful, some files can potentially harm your computer. If you do not trust the source do not save this file.' I will press on.

No comments: