Friday, April 20, 2007

Facebook



What did I know about 'facebook' before joining?? Well, what with having 3 twenty-something offspring, I knew it was a site that occupied a lot of their time. I knew that it was originally a university student site, designed for keeping in touch and reconnecting with friends and classmates. My preconceived notion was that it was an elaborate message sending site for young people.
What do I know about 'facebook' now that I have joined? Well, in many ways it is exactly what I had expected. It is what it claims to be, 'a social utility that connects you with the people around you'.
The best part about facebook for me was being able to add my two daughters as my 'friends'. I even like the sound of that sentence.
The fact that they are both studying in Dublin Ireland at the moment has meant that I do not always get my 'daily fix' of them, and needless to say, I miss them very much. Thank goodness for SKYPE, but facebook too has given me another way of connecting with them that makes them seem closer to home.
Let's see, we have written on each others' walls. We have sent messages back and forth. We've poked each other.........but I guess the best part for me is just glancing through their many photo albums. It gives me a glimpse into their daily routines and assures me that all is well.
Aside from my children(and their roommates) I don't know anyone else on facebook. I searched all of my hotmail address contacts and none of them is on facebook. So, as 'a social utility that connects you with the people around you', facebook is NOT for me; but as a social utility that connects me with my loved ones, facebook is a success.

2 comments:

Lizzy D said...

Hey mom, glad you are liking facebook. It's also great for managing events. For example we have planned a 'Welcome home' party and we can do all of the invites, rsvps, updates and photos though there. Also you can join different groups... some of which are valuable assets and some just for fun.
I also thought you might want to check out this video.... the execution very poorly produced and kinda boring, but i think now that you have taken this course you will appreciate a lot of the jokes.
http://www.glumbert.com/media/supermarket
enjoy!

Maggie said...

yay for facebook. thanks for sending me a gift it made me feel loved. stay tuned for more photo updates. i like that picture of liz and myself its nice. i've bookmarked your blog so i'll check what you are up to more often.
maggie